Monday, May 19, 2008

Hello, my name is Michael and I'm an Internet Addict...

Last post: "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in my Hand" by Primitive Radio Gods
"I know what to do when you are staring at a screen
That says fatal error 642 you don't know what it means
You bang the keyboard, throw the mouse, and scream like a banshee
Your tiny brain has failed (NO) so now you must call me
"
I am truly addicted to the internet. Every aspect of my life, professional, social, entertainment, and such are dependent on access.
"Please help me get on the information highway
I seem to be stuck in my virtual driveway
No help me first, I am in great despair
"
Here is the current situation: My next-door neighbors are having their driveway replaced. Now the contractors did take the precaution of checking for lines, and I did see the markings and flags. However they were told the phone line was 3 feet underground, not the 3 inches it actually was. Of course this little event has to occur on the May long weekend. Sunday they cut the line, today (Monday) a friendly Telus tech arrives and makes a temporary fix, but a crew will be out tomorrow (hopefully) to do a permanent fix and bury it again.

The result, so far, was 24 hours without internet access. At first it was more the concern about not getting e-mail. I am reliant on it for most of my communication with my current source of income, so that is a genuine concern. But as I woke up this morning, unable to check my usual sites and web-comics, I found myself more irritated and frustrated. I actually found myself going for a walk around the neighborhood with my PSP looking for an open wireless connection (which did not take long).
"When I walk in the room
People they do bow
For I am the guy with computer know-how
"
Of course, the only e-mail I had was a message from facebook, and I really haven't missed anything. Still, not being able to check. It was also frustrating not being able to do anything about it. I'm used to fixing peoples' computer troubles. There's also the issue that I will lose it again, hopefully temporarily, when they return to fix the line. I guess I'll have to get my fix tonight.

No comments: