Monday, December 31, 2007

Year in review

Last post: “An Angel Returned” by Trans-Siberian Orchestra
"Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And days o' auld lang syne
"

11:00 pm, December 31. Alone at home. Seems like a good time to consider everything.

I have discussed this with a few people; this should have been a great year. Between school and work, I've had some great experiences. I've been to Jasper for work, and Athabasca for part of a school project. I've met some minor celebrities and seen some incredible and inspiring speakers all while being paid to run camera for Sharps. Both work and school have sent me to some interesting locations in and around Edmonton, including the Shaw Conference Center, the Agricom, the Jubilee Auditorium, all four MacEwan campuses, and even the Ukrainian Cultural Village.

I have also made some new friends at school, work, and as part of my network of friends. In addition, I met the some of the fantastic volunteers from the Second Chance Animal Rescue Society. I produced two videos for them that they have already put to good use. I also produced a music video for a great local band, Automata. I hope to become more involved with both groups over the next year.

Between school, work, and friends, I have been to all kinds of parties. From countless Friday Feasts to a drunken college party, I've been more social than ever. Sharps has been great for the parties, what with the golf tournament, the dinner at the SCC, and the Christmas party. I even played videographer for a friend's wedding, and DJ at another party.

The experience at school proved quite useful for my summer job at Sharps. I was on camera (and in Jasper) a week after I started and proved my worth. In return, the experience at Sharps has proven invaluable at school. I have, by far, the most technical experience of any of my classmates and put it to good use in several shoots including organizing a shooting blitz in studio 1 over the Remembrance Day long weekend.
" We twa hae paidl’d in the burn,
frae morning sun till dine;
But seas between us braid hae roar’d
sin’ auld lang syne.
"

Amongst all that, I was dealt a crushing blow. A major change to my life that radically altered my intentions for the future, as well as leaving me lonely. I hate the fact that I feel lonely even though I have so many good friends. As I enter the new year, I know I have to leave that all behind. I know it has been for the best. Already lives are changing and getting better, and this is a good thing.
"And there’s a hand, my trusty fiere!
And gies a hand o’ thine!
And we’ll tak a right gude-willie-waught,
for auld lang syne.
"

2007: 2 stars out of 5. It should have been 5, though.

Remember the good, forget the bad. No regrets.

No comments: