Sunday, October 14, 2007

Inappropriate conduct

Last post: “E-Bow the Letter” by REM

I am an arms dealer.
Fitting you with weapons in the form of words
And don't really care, which side wins
As long as the room keeps singing
That's just the business I'm in.


Some of you may have heard about a recent event that occurred in a class last week. A well respected, and somewhat feared, instructor broke into a major rant against our class. Critiques are an important aspect of our design instruction. It allows our instructors and our classmates to provide constructive criticism and advice on our work. This has always been an important part of the process as it is the best way to learn.

He had us critique each other’s projects without other comments. He didn’t like our critiques or our projects and really let us have it. His rant was insulting, rude, and completely inappropriate. I admit I was angry, I think we all were, but I’ve had a few days to think about it and now I’m just disappointed. We all heard stories about the guy; He’s scary, but knows his stuff. I was looking forward to a studio class with him and was open to any critiques. The personal insult was not appreciated.

I’m not scared of him, or intimidated, just disappointed. I’ve gotten too old and been through too much crap already in my life to put up with this kind of attitude.

This ain't a scene, it’s a god damn arms race
I'm not a shoulder to cry on, but I digress.

No comments: