Saturday, September 29, 2007

Inspiration

Last post: "Tomcat Prowl" by Doug and the Slugs

"Now do you see the feeling in your eyes?
Do you know the things that make you cry?
There are things that money just won't buy.
Wake up now you've got to trust and try.
"


I've come up with a concept for my Senior Independent Project. For those who don't know, this is the one big project/class that is worth 6 credits. The way my teachers have set it up is that we propose the project, and depending on length and difficulty, they will assign a percentage that it will be worth in the class between 20-50%. The rest will come from working with classmates on their projects as well as other work.

"I begin with an idea and then it becomes something else."
- Pablo Picasso


My concept began with a single image of a girl standing in an open, snow-covered field. It has greatly expanded from there.

"No I don't advocate god.
And you don't seem to find love.
Don't waste time praying.
Get on with finding.
"


Now the real question is can I make this not only a viable concept, but be able to express it? This will be a mostly visual experience with the dialog building upon the imagery. I already have a "script" in that I know what the voiceover will be. I also have an idea of what I want the visuals to be, but they will be difficult to explain.

Last year a classmate suggested a technology wherein a filmmaker could just plug a cable into his brain and a device would simply read the sound and images and turn it into a movie. Suddenly, this is not a bad idea.

I'm already assumine my concept will be difficult, but not lenghty. I would not expect it to go over 3 minutes, and even at that it might be longer than I'm thinking. Nonetheless it will involve shooting in at least 6 locations, including green screen.

One image turns into an idea, which turns into a concept. Can I turn this into a movie?

No comments: