Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fate

Last Post: “Clocks” by Coldplay

I’ve been thinking a lot about fate lately. Much of that comes from my D&D game where I’ve been playing with prophecy and how that can affect a person’s concepts of what is happening, or what will happen. In any story, from the character’s perspective, they are completely guided by fate. The author decides what will happen to each character. The character has no say.

"This is my Destiny only child
Come on and rescue me 'cos I'm wild
This is my selection when I'm sure
Not looking for deception like before"

This is different in a Dungeons and Dragons game. The Dungeon Master sets the story into motion, but the characters have choice. For the most part, this choice is limited to the current events the characters can only react to. But at the same time it creates a unique narrative as they can choose to do something that affects the story in a way the DM may not see happening.

So, is it fate or is it choice? This is the question that drives my story. I know what is going to happen, or at least what is supposed to happen, but the players have an influence. They can choose to do something different at any time.

I do not believe in fate, per se. I believe our choices open the paths that we follow in our lives. These paths lead us to the things we are to do, and the people we are to meet. We belong where we are. That can be hard to accept at times as life puts us in difficult situations, but even the difficult times shape our lives and propel us along the path.

"How can I change the path that I'm on
This is my Destiny
This is my life my own right or wrong
Bring it on back to me
How can I say what it is that I want
Wisdom speak to me
Life your sweet then the moment is gone
This is my Destiny”

An incalculable number of choices led me to a single moment on a random Wednesday night. Sure, the reason I was there was necessity… I needed milk. But I still chose to go to Wal-Mart. I chose that particular location based on it being on my way home, which in itself was based on the series of choices I made in my life.

The time of my wanderings around the store was also based on choices, particularly my job which happens to be all closing shifts. I could spend hours detailing the path that brought me there too. All those factors together, and an odd compulsion to wander a department store at 9:30 pm on a Wednesday night brought me to one point in time.

I can’t imagine the paths and choices that brought her to that moment. Still, there she was. We spotted each other at the same time.

It has been many years since we last spoke, which is as it always is, an unfortunate part of life. Friends drift apart. It’s no ones’ fault, just a fact of life. But as I saw her, I know it was the perfect moment for us to meet again.

"This is my intention hear me now
Don't need correction please me how
Breaking out the institution crazy law
Ain't no complication live for more"

Moments of revelation such as those almost make me believe that some Universal force draws us to certain points. How could the limitless number of choices and possibilities really cause two paths to cross again after so many years?

We shall definitely have to meet for coffee. I really need to know how our paths crossed again… and more importantly, why.

Is it fate, or is it choice?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ιts liκe yоu гead
my mіnd! Үou seеm to know a lоt about this, liκe you ωrοte the book in іt or
ѕomething. Ι think thаt you can dο with ѕome pics tο drivе the message home a bit, but other thаn that, this іs great
blоg. A greаt гead. I ωill definitely be back.


Μy web site: long distance college